Stratford upon Avon is a very popular destination when it comes to escaping somewhere for weekend break.
But why is this? What does it offer that draws so many people to it? Some reasons are obvious but others aren’t so much. Let’s see what you could expect from a weekend break in a Stratford upon Avon holiday cottage.
1. Indulge in some Shakespearean history. It’s the main reason why so many people are drawn to the area for a weekend stay or even longer. Shakespeare was born, lived and died here, so there are lots of properties you can go and view. See one or see them all – you’ve got plenty of time if you are in town for a few days.
2. Enjoy some shopping. Stratford is known for its shops and regardless of whether you want to see familiar household names or quaint local delights you will find plenty to browse round here. Since the whole area is peppered with old buildings with a history, wandering around the shops gives you a good opportunity to sightsee as well.
3. Try a spot of boating on the River Avon. If the weather is good and you fancy a lazy afternoon on the river, you can do just that in Stratford upon Avon. There are various river cruises you can go on, and there is even an old ferry that provides a fascinating way to get from one side of the River Avon to the other. And if you have got the energy why not hire a rowing boat and explore the river yourself? It’s a lovely way to get some exercise!
4. Explore the many tea rooms and restaurants in Stratford upon Avon. No town like this would be complete without a tea room, and Stratford has its fair share of places to visit. The Dirty Duck is very well known in the area, and you can also visit an inn which is named after William Shakespeare’s mother, Mary Arden.
5. Look for somewhere to stay when you come back for another long weekend. There are so many lovely holiday cottages and so much self catering accommodation you can stay in that you won’t want to try the same place twice! Check our selection of holiday properties near Stratford upon Avon to see how many options there are.
You can see that you won’t run short of things to do during a weekend in this particular town. There is a lot of history to get involved with and even wandering around and soaking up the atmosphere is definitely to be recommended.
Be sure to explore the many other non-Shakespearean attractions in the area as well though. There are lots of them and they all cater for the many tourists who frequent the area throughout the year.
And if you don’t have time to see it all, you can come back again to view the rest of the delights that Stratford upon Avon has in store for you.