No matter where you decide to spend your UK holiday, there are always ‘must see’ places at every location. And if you happen to be booking a holiday in one of the beautiful countryside cottages somewhere in the Forest of Dean, you’ll want to add Clearwell Caves to your list of ‘must see’ places to go.
Lots of places in England have underground cave systems and similar places that offer you an intriguing insight into how they work. But Clearwell Caves are arguably one of the best of them.
So let’s take a look at why they make a great day out when you are on holiday in the Forest of Dean.
1. Walk back into the Stone Age. As soon as you head underground you will be leaving the 21st century firmly behind you. The Clearwell Caves go back thousands of years, and they don’t look much different to how they would have done to Stone Age people. It’s definitely a great experience to tell people at home about when you finish your Forest of Dean holiday.
2. Regular events make for an even more memorable trip. You can always explore the nine caves that are open for you to see, but the family run caves also lay on special events. These take place on a frequent basis but the dates vary depending on what is happening. It might be worth phoning ahead of your visit, or checking their website, to see if you could plan your own visit to coincide with a special event.
3. They have fabulous and very educational guided tours. And they aren’t expensive either. You can expect at least an hour and a half going into the caves and learning about their past. You’ll also be able to find out more about free mining, ancient peoples and much more besides.
4. You can go much further into the mine if you opt for a deep level tour. This isn’t for the claustrophobic and you’ll need a certain degree of physical fitness too. But if you are willing to go beyond the usual extent of the caves available, you can enjoy deep level mining at its best. And of course, it all takes place with qualified leaders and with all the right equipment.
5. It’s a wonderful way to keep the kids entertained! People of all ages love Clearwell Caves, but there is no doubt that kids in particular find it “awesome!” It should come as no surprise to learn that the caves are a hot spot for school tours. But if you are on holiday in the area and staying in a Forest of Dean holiday cottage, you can still take full advantage of the tour as a family group.
All this should certainly convince you that Clearwell Caves are one of the highlights of any stay in the Forest of Dean. Complete with a blacksmith’s shop and of course the obligatory gift shop too, you will find it to be the perfect day out, no matter how far into the caves you choose to go.