Arrival and Departure
All properties are available from 4pm on the start day and visitors are requested to depart no later than 10am on the last day. (Please note you are free to arrange alternative arrival times with the owner once Manor Cottages has received the final balance payment, but please do understand that time is required to prepare the cottages for cleaning and therefore please do not take offence if the housekeeper or owner cannot let you in before 4pm.)
You will receive full details of arrival time, directions and key arrangements after you have paid the balance of the hire charge. You will be given the homeowner or keyholder's name and telephone number and we ask that you ring a few days before your holiday to discuss arrival times and hand-over of the keys. Please do not arrive early, unless previously arranged, as time is needed to thoroughly clean the property between lets. We also ask that you leave the property by 10 am on departure day for the same reason.
Some Homeowners provide a welcome pack or tray for visitors and if this is the case it will be shown in the property details. What is provided will differ from property to property but the minimum included normally consists of tea, coffee, sugar, milk and biscuits. Sometimes more provided so do please ask for details. Be aware, however, that you are booking a self catering holiday cottage and not a hotel -owners and their caretakers will provide cleaning products and enough toilet roll to start your stay, but not necessarily a never ending supply! Please ask for further details if needed.
Electricity and Heating
Unless highlighted in the Property Description, electricity and heating are always included in the rental cost. Where an open fire / woodburner is available the Homeowner may provide a starter pack of fuel, but alternatively / additionally fuel may need to be purchased separately.
Linen and Towels
Beds at all properties are made up with bed linen, which is included in the holiday price (except for cots and folding beds). Additionally, one bath towel and one hand towel per person are provided unless otherwise stated in the property description. Tea towels are provided in all properties.
Cot / High Chair
Where stated, a cot and/or high chair are provided in properties where children (aged 2 and under) are accepted. Please be sure to check the property description or ask a member of staff if you are not certain. Important note: cot linen is NOT provided and please note that cots supplied are travel cots, unless specified.
Many of our properties will accept one well behaved dog. Please remember that they MUST NOT be left unattended in properties and that homeowners will expect pets to remain downstairs and off the furniture at all times. It will be clearly stated in the property description if pets are welcome.
As the pet owner you will be responsible for removing any evidence left by your pet. We strongly request that you please show consideration for guests visiting after you have gone home. A minimum charge of £20 (higher in certain cottages) will be made per dog per booking per week/weekend, although some cottages do charge more and this will be highlighted in the cottage description and by us verbally when we confirm your booking.
All properties are equipped as follows:
- Kitchens have appliances as stated, plus ample good quality tableware and cooking utensils. They all have: toaster, electric kettle, coffee maker, iron/ironing board, vacuum cleaner.
- Living area/rooms have easy seating, dining table and chairs for the stated number as well as a good standard of general furnishing. All properties have a TV and video.
- Bedrooms have standard sized beds, unless otherwise stated, plus storage and hanging space, as well as a good standard of general furnishing. A hairdryer is provided at every property.
- All of our cottages have some form of central heating, and many have additional open fires or a wood burning stove.
Some properties have extra beds or sofa beds. The extra number of persons will be shown as + 1 or + 2 and can be booked for an additional fee, outlined in the property description.
In certain instances, and where specified within the property description, a property may offer the use of an extra bed(s), sofa bed or similar sleeping arrangement for an additional fee (usually but not always between £40 - £75 per person). Although our website will give a cottage booking price indication (listed as 'Full and All Inclusive Price'), please be aware that because certain properties charge different prices for the use of the extra bed(s), you will be asked for this amount IN ADDITION to the full and inclusive price quoted via the website. Under no circumstances may more than the maximum number of persons indicated occupy a property. This is because you will be violating the property's insurance agreement. If you do then the owner and/or Manor Cottages reserve the right to either ask you to vacate the property immediately with no refund. Manor Cottages, on behalf of the owner, may deduct further rental fees if it feels appropriate.
All our cottages are cleaned thoroughly between holidays. We would ask that you leave the property and its contents clean and tidy - in a state similar to which you found it.
Christmas / New Year
Bookings for Christmas and New Year are generally for full weeks. We normally aim to have any Christmas booking commencing on 20th, 21st or 22nd of December and the New Year booking following on from this i.e. 27th, 28th or 29th December. There may be variations to this 'rule' depending on what day of the week Christmas falls.
We must inform you that fireworks are NOT permitted at any of our properties (at any time of the year). The potential for property damage as well as harm to local farms, pets and animals makes such activities absolutely unacceptable. Please note that short breaks are not normally available during Bank Holidays, including both Christmas and New Year.
Short Break Tariff
All cottages are available for short breaks in Spring, Autumn and Winter. At any other time short breaks are subject to availability, but usually are available from 3 weeks henceforth at all times of the year. Short Breaks can be for 3 or 4 nights and, generally speaking, can start on any day of the week. The prices are calculated as follows: 2 or 3 night break - 75% of that week's rent. 4 night break - 85% of that week's rent.
Although very rare nowadays, some of our cottages make separate additional charges for fuel and central heating, particularly during the out-of-season months. This is priced individually and charged weekly according to the property and in addition to the rent. Please ensure that you take any additional cost into account when comparing property prices and rent.
Certain properties (and their owners) require a refundable* security / damages deposit from customers before arrival at the cottage. Where possible this will be represented (and the amount required) in the property description on the website.
Where a property is managed by Manor Cottages, the security deposit will be co-ordinated by the Manor Cottages' housekeeping team; in other properties which are managed by owners or their appointed representative the security deposit will be managed and organised by the owner or their appointed agent. The payment will be requested and taken approx 7 days before you arrive at the cottage/property and will be refunded ideally within 10 days of your departure, subject to any damages or additional cleaning requirements. Please note that where a security deposit is required, we and the owner reserve the right to with-hold access to the property if unpaid. Payment for a security deposit must be with a credit card (+2% bank charge), debit card (no bank fee) or bank transfer, payment by cheque is not accepted sadly.
The security deposit is refundable, however in the event of any problems you will be advised to you as soon as possible and the security deposit with-held. Once any damage has been clarified and explained to you, there will be an indication of the amount to be refunded, left over from your security deposit.
Please note that there will also be a handling charge for arranging any correctional work (i.e. tradesmen to the property)
Please note that Manor Cottages is not responsible for the failure of the owner or their appointed housekeeper to advise you of damages or repayment of your security.
Alterations to Bookings
We cannot accept a change of holiday property once we have received your booking form and payment. We may be able to change your holiday week providing you advise us not less than 6 weeks prior to your original holiday start date. This is not always possible, and if we are able to rearrange this for you, a charge of £25 will be made to cover administration costs. No change of dates is operative until we receive written confirmation and the alteration fee.
As most properties are owned by individual owners and are run as separate business, it is not possible to switch your booking booking(s) between properties.
If you are unhappy with your booking or the way it has been handled, please inform us immediately.
Putting a cottage on Hold!
We are regularly asked by customers if we can place a cottage on hold 'for a few days' while arrangements are made with friends and/or family. How far in advance this request is made will affect our response and, while we don't wish to appear blunt, we will often say either "no" or "yes, but for 24 hours only". The reason for this is simply that putting a cottage on hold stops other people from reserving and booking the same cottage. We always ask ourselves the question "If you were the owner, what would you want us to do?" Please understand if we are unable to hold a property, especially if it is a last minute enquiry.
- If any problems arise during your stay, you should contact the Home Owner or Keyholder IMMEDIATELY (or as soon as possible) either of whom who will try to put the matter(s) right as soon as possible. Alternatively contact Manor Cottages on 01993 824 252 during office hours and we will try to deal with the problem. Please don't suffer in silence and resolve to write when you get home; we want you to enjoy your holiday.
- Complaints should be reported IMMEDIATELY in order to allow the owner, housekeeper or Manor Cottages to deal with them. Owners or their housekeepers will only investigate complaints which are notified to them promptly and before the end of your holiday. If you experience difficulties and are unable to contact the owner or their representative you should contact Manor Cottages
- We will do all we can to rectify the matter - if we are unable to do this and in our opinion, your complaint is justified, we will try to find alternative holiday cottage accommodation for you. This may involve a property at a different price than that paid, although, depending on the alternative property, we will discuss your options at the point of offering alternative accommodation.
- It may not be possible to re-locate you (for example in high season). In such cases, where you do not stay in your booked property, we will arrange a full reimbursement of the price paid.
- Our liability and that of the Home Owner is limited to the price you have paid, not including any bank charges incurred, except in the case of legal liability for personal damage or injury, for which purpose public liability insurance is carried by the Home Owner. Although we inspect properties and take seriously any complaints we receive from customers, we do not accept any liability for the failure of the owner to keep the property and its contents in good condition. The owner is ultimately responsible for resolving any difficulties which you may experience with the property you have booked.
- Please note that all properties are NON-SMOKING within the building(s).
Many of Manor Cottages' properties are old cottages dating back to the last century or earlier. It is important to remember before booking your holiday in one of these properties that part of their charm is the characteristically low ceilings, doorways and beams. They often have steep and narrow stairs and because of low or sloping ceilings, may have limited clothes hanging facilities. Many such properties were built before the introduction of damp proof courses and cavity insulation. These points are particularly important to note if your party has any elderly or very young members. Thatched roofs and beams can attract spiders, and cobwebs reappear very quickly after being removed! While such aspects of old properties add character and charm, we do not recommend them unless these features are understood fully by the Hirer when making the booking.